After firmly establishing Doulton’s Lambeth Art Department, Henry Doulton sought to cement the name of Doulton in the ceramic world by launching himself in the heart of the Potteries, buying an interest in the earthenware pottery firm of Pinder, Bourne & Co based in Nile St. Burslem in 1877. Although the firm at first continued much in the same vein as it always had, the business relationship between Henry Doulton and Shadford Pinder proved a difficult one. One that would result in the latter’s retirement and the firm being re-named Doulton & Co in 1882.
In 1889 a young Charles J. Noke was tempted to move to Doulton. With him, Noke brought a wealth of tradition and expertise. As we all know he would eventually take over as art director of the factory. Noke’s particular forte was sculpture. One can instantly chart a change in the achievements of the Burslem factory with his arrival. This marriage of a fresh sculptor and an established team of painters brought instant success, which would continue well into the 20th Century.
No products were found matching your selection.