Named in honor of King William III, 18th century Williamsburg was the capital of Virginia, the oldest of the British colonies in America. Williamsburg became the political, social and cultural center of the colony. The small city flourished during a period that forged principles on which subsequent American history was founded. When it ceased to be the seat of government in 1780, Williamsburg unfortunately lost its position of importance and fell into decay. In the 1960s, a decision was made that the shrine of American character and tradition should be restored; that each building in Williamsburg should be reconstructed and refurnished exactly in detail to its 18th century appearance. Now reverted to the tempo of the past, amid the beauty of the quiet tree-lined streets and public houses; visitors to the new, refurbished Williamsburg can pause and reflect in a town once inhabited by George Washington and Thomas Jefferson.
In the 1960s, in conjunction with the restoration of Williamsburg, Royal Doulton introduced a collection of 18th century personalities called Figures of Williamsburg designed by Peggy Davies. Each figure was created with the same care and attention to detail that were seen in the restoration of Williamsburg itself. Approved by the Colonial Williamsburg Foundation, this collection of characters continues to be popular with collectors around the world who have a love for beauty, history and tradition.
A hammer and anvil were the tools of the trade for the Blacksmith of Williamsburg. Many items from horseshoes to helmets were forged by these fine craftsmen.
From 1699 to 1780 Williamsburg, Virginia was the political, cultural, and educational center of what was then the largest, most populous, and most influential of the American colonies. It was there that the fundamental concepts of the American government were born. Peggy Davies’ series represents just some of the many individuals whose diverse contributions helped nurture the growth and development of what is now the United States of America.